March 29, 2013

Photo Frame Jewelry Holder

I've seen this project many times on Pinterest.  I'm not sure who the original creator of this idea is, but I love it.  I don't like putting all of my jewelry in a box, where I have to dig through piles of tangles necklaces and bracelets to find anything.  I don't wear jewelry that much, so I like it out where I can see it, then I'm more likely to put it on.  It's so pretty when it's displayed, don't ya think? It's like a piece of functional art, and what's not to love about that?


I wanted to display all my jewelry (I don't wear it often so I don't have that much) and that includes earrings.  The projects I saw on Pinterest didn't have anywhere to put stud earrings, so I created one.  I added the ribbon across the top to push the earring through.  It is only slightly a pain to try to put them on the ribbon without knocking anything else off, but for a person such as myself who uses it so rarely, it works.  Perhaps if you need to access the studs everyday, a different option would be a better fit.


Materials:
photo frame without glass (The size is up to you and depends on how much jewelry you want it to hold. Mine is about 17''x14'' or so.)
paint (if you choose to paint your frame)
chicken wire (You can get this really cheap at the hardware store.)
hooks (I think I got mine at Target or the hardware store.  Once again, really cheap.)
ribbon
staple gun
wire snips
drill

Take the glass out of your frame. Paint your frame if you desire. I picked up mine for free at a garage sale without the glass and already painted, so it was perfect. I didn't paint the hooks on this one, but I made one for a friend's daughter and painted them the same color as the frame.  I think both look nice.  It's up to you.

Measure the bottom of your frame and then divide it by how many hooks you want to use.  Mine measures 14'' and I used 6 hooks, so put them every 2'' or so.  Use a ruler and a pencil to mark where you want the hooks to go. 

Using a drill with a small bit, drill holes where you want your hooks to go (I had my hubby do this part).  The holes will help the hooks go in much more easily, otherwise it's near impossible to screw them in. 



Using wire snips, cut your chicken wire just slightly larger than the frame opening.  Staple the chicken wire to the back of the frame in a few places.


Next, cut your ribbon slightly larger than the frame opening and staple that to the back of the frame as well.

Leave as is or adorn with a lovely flower, as I did.  Hang it on the wall, unload your jewelry, and admire your piece of functional art!


Photos: A Musing Mamma

No comments:

Post a Comment