May 8, 2013

Tips to Reduce Stress


My husband and I are similar in so many ways, and soooo different in others.  One of the ways we are vastly different is in regards to stress, or allowing things to bother and eat away at us. He will lose sleep over things that are beyond his control.  He will hash and rehash a problem until it's dead in the ground, and then dig it up and rehash it some more until he's fraught with worry.  I take a different approach.  I typically let things roll off my back. I'm not quite sure how I got the free-bird mentality and he got the worry-wort personality, but perhaps that's why we compliment each other.  Now, patience on the other hand... ha!  Of that I have very little, although I'm getting better.  My husband will likely beg to differ, but I really don't think anyone is blessed with the endless supply of patience that he has, except maybe my brother. Again, perhaps that's why we compliment each other.  But, I digress.

As I stated, I typically will let things roll of my back.  I am actually very good at being proactive about the things I can change, and dismissing the things I can't.  It's of no use worrying over things you cannot change, or as the old adage goes, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."  Worrying and stressing over things you cannot change will do nothing but give you anxiety and make you feel bad.  It will gray your hair, age your face, take years off your life, do negative things for your health, and keep you awake at night. If you can change something then do it.  If you can't, then LET. IT. GO.  Then move forward.  Worrying and stressing will only serve to keep you stagnant.  There will be no progression.  Taking action will at least move you in some direction.  If you can't take action to change it, then letting it go will allow you to move forward. I understand that this is so difficult for some people, as it's just not in their blueprint as it is for others.  I suppose for these people it takes a good amount of practice to master.

This article by Mark Hyman, MD is a great read on how to reduce stress.  It explains better than I can how to reduce stress.  I highly recommend it to everyone, and recommend that many revisit this article on occasion anytime they might need a reminder.


What are your thoughts on stress?  Are you a person who stresses over things over which you have no control?  If you let things roll off your back, is that your innate personalityTT or do you have to work hard at it?


Photo: A Musing Mamma

No comments:

Post a Comment